Monday, April 6, 2009

FIRE! FIRE!

I was cutting wood down on the south end today. I always carry a police scanner (or two) with me, so I heard the fire pager. A forest fire was about 1 1/2 miles directly upwind from me. Shortly after the fire departments were paged out, I could smell the smoke. Then the smoke was so thick at times that it would burn my throat. Eventually there were ashes falling on me from the sky! Not much danger though, there was a couple of roads and a large irrigation field between the fire and the woods that I was in. After I finished loading the pile I was working on, I decided to go take a look. As per listening to the scanner, they had evacuated several houses (10 buildings were threatened and two of them burned).




The D.N.R. airplane circling the fire.


The military was busy today, and I think a couple pilots might be in love. The heart-shaped vapor trails are odd.


Not a fire, but the sunset from last night.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

1 comment:

  1. I was going to e-mail you yesterday and ask you cause i seen the dnr plane circling and when i got to Grand Marsh the water truck come flying into town with it's lights on.When i turned onto County B it looked a little smokey your way.

    I seen the military planes doing their maneuvers yesterday.They shot 4 or 5 flares,i ran into the house to get my camera and when i came back outside the jets and the flares were gone.They might of gotten the call to intercept the plane that was stolen from Canada.

    ReplyDelete