Monday, September 28, 2009

A Wild and Windy Day For Cutting Firewood!

We're under a wind advisory and the wind blew pretty hard all night. The oaks that died from oak wilt eventually fall when the roots rot off. After a wind like this, there are usually some that have come down. That's when I turn them into firewood. Until then, the woodpeckers and other little critters enjoy them.

The wind was still strong this morning, but not too serious. I decided to go out and cut up a little load and haul it back here to the museum. But first I wanted to check on the neighbor's cabin.

On the way to the cabin, there was one small oak blocking the trail. I cut that up and split it and it gave me about half a load in my little ATV trailer. When I finally got to the cabin, a large oak had fallen about 100 feet from it. I decided I would cut that up and split it for the neighbor. But first, I would check the rest of the trails and finish filling my trailer.

I found another oak blocking a trail. I cut and split that and there was about a load and a half in it. I finished filling my trailer and stacked the other load in the woods. I'll haul it up someday.

So, back to the cabin to cut the large oak there. When I get there, the wind has picked up a lot. Stronger than it has been all night and all morning so far. I need to carry the saw the 100 feet or so to the tree, because the neighbor has a food plot for the deer between the cabin and where the tree fell. I don't want to trample it all down with my ATV and trailer. So I park in front of the cabin, reach for my saw, and CRAAAACK! CRAAAASH! Another large dead oak right next to the one I would have been cutting snaps off two feet above the ground.

Uh, I think I will cut the trees for the neighbor tomorrow! I jump back on the ATV and all the way home the wind is really howling. I'm riding along looking at the big oaks overhead swaying and twisting just like wheat in the field. It made me a little bit nervous. The wind was supposed to starting dieing down this afternoon, not get stronger. I'll bet tomorrow I find more trees toppled.

- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment