Thursday, July 14, 2011

I've cut back on milking the cows to 3 days per week. I won't miss the money because it is so little that it doesn't make any difference. Funny thing about it, the less money you make the easier it is to give it up. He pays me way less than minimum wage and in the nearly 15 years that I have been doing it for him full-time, I have never once been offered a raise or a single benefit. What I will miss is working with the cows and calves everyday. I never did it for the money, I did it for the cows. All of them nowadays have been raised by me since they were babies. I think this is for the best. Last year my firewood business finally began to take off. In that first successful year my profit nearly exceeded anything I've ever made milking cows. Someday I even hope to expand, buy another ATV, maybe hire a part-time helper, and possibly seek out more people willing to have the dead trees cleaned off their property in exchange only for the firewood I produce from it. For now I at least hope to get far enough ahead that when the deep snow comes I won't have to work my little 300cc ATV so hard like I did last winter. It smokes and burns oil now, with 5000 really tough miles on it, and might not take much more of that kind of punishment. But it's much harder to get ahead and possibly even expand if I'm constantly having to drop everything morning and night for such little compensation and appreciation. So on to bigger, better, more self-satisfying endeavors and adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment