Saturday, February 6, 2010

LOOKOUT! That Tree Is A Deathtrap!

It's odd how often I run into hollow trees. Of course, if they were healthy, then I guess they wouldn't be dead! Just cutting the notch, and they start to fall already, pinching the bar. Most of the time it's hard to tell what they are going to do. Sometimes they shatter and come crashing down without warning. I can usually tell beforehand if they are hollow, but not always, like this one.


It was an absolutely gorgeous day to cut wood! The old maul handle is finally starting to get just a tiny bit of play in it. After 25 years the epoxy is shrinking. I bet within 10 years I will have to replace the handle. I should just buy a Fiskars if I am going to have to replace the handle on that old maul every 35 years, or it will put me in the poorhouse!


And I did cut a fair amount of it today. I'm almost caught up with what I've burned, sold, and given away. One more day should do it, depending on how much I sell tomorrow. Then I can start stacking the excess in the woods again.


Dropped these two trees and skillfully missed the apple tree in the foreground. Even if I do say so myself!


Today it was my ATV that got hit by my wild split pitching!


Not bad, these gloves made it almost two winters. I'll have to reach into the grab-bag and pull out another pair.


Today wasn't all wood cuttin'. I took some airplane pictures too.


Way, way up there. 40x worth. Picture starts to get a little grainy.


Somebody was having a little air to air combat practice!


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill