Friday, October 3, 2008

First frost last night.

I don't know if it got the tomatoes up here on the hill, but that's ok if it did. It's actually a little late this year. I laugh at people that act surprised by winter and frost every year. Some cover all their plants, as if this is just a temporary and unforeseen fluke of nature. No, it's not. It's supposed to happen. Winter and frost have descended upon us every year for awhile! Right? Where does the surprise come from? Winter always used to be, and is becoming again, my favorite season of the year.


I haven't seen one of these salamanders since I was a kid. I thought they were all gone. This little guy was hiding under a tire (that I needed to replace a flat yesterday), getting ready to hibernate. I took his picture, showed him to the girls, then put him under the next spare tire in line!


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill!