Monday, June 23, 2008

Over the years I've seen bad modems, monitors, motherboards, power supplies, mice, floppy drives, CD drives, and hard drives, but I've never seen a bad keyboard - until now. I came home from the Castle Rock Family ATV Club Scavenger Hunt Saturday night and my keyboard was acting funky. It kept turning the caps lock on and off, repeating keys all by itself, lighting up the num lock and scroll lock intermittently, then all the keyboard lights would go out and it would be completely dead.

I tried a number of things, checking the plug, unhooking my weather station because that was made way back in the Windows 3.1 days and sometimes makes XP do the hokey poky. No difference. I have a number of old keyboards and hooked one of those up. So far so good, it looks like the keyboard was bad. If it should start to act up again, then I will assume that it's a board going bad in the computer. No big deal then either. If that's the case, this computer is a few years old and probably time for an upgrade anyway! And new computers are cheaper now than they have ever been!