Saturday, January 3, 2009

A day of hauling wood and cleaning chimney.

Today I used the old 1996 Polaris Trailboss to haul wood from my main pile in the yard up to the house. It hasn't been used much over the last several years, so I have been running it a little by using it for my barn shuttle (the term barn shuttle named after Thomas C. Morgan who invented the short range barn shuttle - inside joke). Anyway, since I already had it warmed up after the ride home from the barn, I figured I'd hook my little trailer to it and use that for today's wood hauling chore. It doesn't have low range, so I would never use it for hauling loads through the woods, but it did just fine here in the yard. And with the tire chains on it, it goes pretty much anywhere the 4wd ATVs do, just doesn't turn as well in the deep stuff. I keep the woodpile plowed out.

I'd almost take it riding tomorrow for old times sake, if it wasn't for the tire chains. I won't run the chains at trail speeds, and I don't want to take them off, so I will take the Polaris Hawkeye as usual. Now, if only the roads aren't too icy in the morning for my pickup truck!

- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill