Saturday, October 10, 2009

Custom made fire poker, way better than that funky pointy thing!

My homemade fire poker from the teenage years! It works way better than any of those factory made pointed pokers. And it's really heavy, so you just kind of let it plop down, then pull, and everything has no choice but to be raked forward!

It was built as a joint effort one fine evening between me and some of my partying buddies. It's outlived several stoves, but we originally designed it for an old barrel stove in my repair shop. After that, a cheap Ben Franklin cast iron fireplace, an airtight automatic draft heater, and a trash burner/box stove. I use it in the house now, but I have to hide it in the ash bucket behind the wood box. I'm told it's too ugly to have it prominently displayed, but to me it's a work of art filled with good memories! And fully functional too!



The fancy handle, recycled from a broken pitchfork. Note the equally impressive cotter pin securing it the metal rod. Also, it has a hole for hanging by the stove which we originally looped a leather shoelace through.


The working end, with partying teenager precision welding. The holes serve no purpose; they were already in the piece of scrap metal we used to make it.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment