Friday, February 23, 2007

Does my helmet make me safer? Maybe not.

Could the same be said for other things too? The people I have seen behaving the craziest were always those that had all the "safety" gear on. Same goes for ATVers, snowmobilers, boaters, etc. etc. Just goes to show you that wearing the "safety gear" isn't the safest you could be. Using your brain and keeping your eyes open makes you safer than any helmet could.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2893122&page=1
"When I wore a helmet, there was a quite considerable tendency for drivers to get closer," Walker said.
What's the reasoning, I wondered? Is it because a driver thinks, "Oh, that rider has a helmet. … If I hit him, he'll live?"
No," Walker said. "It's that they're saying, 'He knows what he's doing.' When they see a cyclist who has all the gear, they think it's a sign of someone who's experienced and skillful."

No comments:

Post a Comment