Thursday, November 27, 2008

News From The Observatory

Things finally worked out last night (clear sky and lack of other duties came together) so I could get out and do a little observing. Absolutely beautiful night for it too!

I noticed someone on the web selling a belt for holding handwarmers like the old one of Dad's that I found. It wraps around you in such a way that one or two handwarmers are held on your back, over your kidneys. I designed my own and it works great! I almost thought that my back was going to get a "sunburn" from the heat. Whew. Didn't have any hot chocolate with me, but I did buy a good thermos at Wal-mart the other day so I'm all set for that too.

L to R: The Seven Sisters -- Jupiter (higher) and Venus (lower) getting ready for their conjunction with the Moon on December 1st. The green fuzzy spot in the top center of the photo is a reflection off the camera lens. Pay no attention to it! --
Bottom Row: Jupiter (higher) and Venus (lower) -- The King of the Planets, Jupiter, and his moons always in motion.



The "almost daily" airplane pictures! I think these first two are awesome. You can almost read the numbers on their wings in the full size images. --
Bottom Row: A strange, twisted vapor trail left by one of them. -- This bald eagle was way, way up there but I managed to get him.



Two of the latest "feeder" bird pictures.


L to R: Snoopy, always on the lookout for a good ball game. -- Old Goldie doesn't actively play ball anymore, she'd rather lay on the floor and push it back and forth between her paws with her nose, but she doesn't often miss out on a walk!


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill!