Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Ants Were Movin' Kinda Slow Today

The sun was shining, the temp hit 10°F ABOVE ZERO, and I knew then it was time to head for the woods.

Yes indeed, the ants were a teensy bit sluggish.


The length of my rounds varies even more than they usually do, when the tree is partially hidden in the snow!


I sure love that old maul.


When the loggers salvaged the trees that were uprooted by the tornado in 2004, they left a lot of these. Some of them are hollow, some of them are punk, but most of them are good yet for firewood. I can get a round or two out of all of them, or some, like this 12-14 inch diameter one, are 10 feet long. I'll be cutting this one up one of these days.


I know this one is rotten just by looking at it and it's almost all a big old burl anyway. It's final resting state is as you see it here.


This one was in good shape and made two nice rounds.


I got a lot of good firewood out of those two rounds.


Headin' back to the fire! The narrow trails are just right for an ATV and nothing more.


Burnin' on the right and stackin' on the left. If I cut again tomorrow, I'll have to make a few more stacks in the woods. I'm out of room again, for now.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment