Saturday, November 17, 2007

Here's my opening morning deer story:

As I was walking home from the barn, I could hear something in the woods just south of my yard. It sounded like antlers scraping on tree limbs (it's a unique sound you'd only recognize after spending your whole life in the woods). I leaned up against the woodpile on the edge of my yard, in plain view of the woods. Sure enough, here comes a 10 point buck right towards me. He never paid any attention. He had his nose to the ground, sniffing. He came within ten yards of me (too bad I didn't have my camera in my pocket), turned around, and wandered slowly back the way he came. He stopped under a large oak in the hollow, about 30 yards from the end of my house, and bedded down.

I just looked out the window in my wood stove room and he's still laying there. Ashley and I saw him a couple weeks ago too, while waiting for the school bus, and he has a dead cedar tree on the edge of the lawn all scraped up. I'm sure he'll spend all the daylight hours of the season right where he is. And I'm not telling anyone where he's hiding, only the viewers of my blog will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment