Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I dug out the old snowblower yesterday and did a little work on it. It's always good to have a backup, and that little blower used to move a lot of snow, just not very fast. It's all we had, from 1991 - 1996. That, and a scoop shovel. I cleared our driveway and others many times with it. One storm piled the drifts up as high as our garage door. I had just gotten a path cleared big enough to get my truck out when the drive belt broke!

We got it the very first winter that we lived here. The first couple of snowstorms that year, my wife's uncle would plow all the trails in the woods with his Jeep, push a pile of snow up into our yard as he turned around, then go away. I asked him, since he was pushing snow up into our yard anyway to turn around after plowing all the woods trails, why not make a quick pass in the driveway too and I would pay him whatever he wanted? He said that he doesn't plow other people's driveways, only his own (and a few miles of woods trails). I went right out after that bit of kindness and bought this little snowblower. We didn't have much money, but the $300 it cost us was well worth it. It sure beat the scoop shovel.

It hasn't even been started in at least two years. At first it didn't want to draw the gas up to the carb, but I got it working. The belt cover was rusted away at the bottom. I was afraid that snow would get on the belt and cause it to slip so I rebuilt the cover with some old tin I had. Now it should be good to go. Probably never need to use it, but I like to have a spare just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment