Sunday, July 6, 2008

Here's a few pictures from watching the fireworks at Castle Rock Lake last night:


Looking south across the lake, towards the dam, from the point we were perched on. - A couple on a jet ski. - The sun setting, almost fireworks time.



There were a few flying machines out there. A seagull? - An airplane. - This guy flying the ultralight always flew right overhead every year for the last several, until now. This is the closest he got his year.



Actually, I believe this year was the worst fireworks display yet. Only one at a time for the whole 15 minute show, then the Grand Finale was just a handful of the loud booms! If you notice my fireworks pictures are all of one firework only, that's why. I'm not sure who was having fireworks on the Juneau County side at the same time, but that's where we should have went! Even from 10+ miles away they were much better than our side of the lake.



Looking west across the lake. You can see the light from the good fireworks on the horizon, and the streaky boat lights from the long exposure. - Saturn, Mars, Regulus, and the waxing Moon all in a perfect line. - The stars and the lights along the lake shore. I took some of my stargazing equipment along, in the hope that I could do some after the fireworks. The conditions were perfect for it. Except my daughter and niece (they're both teenagers and old enough to know better) decided during the fireworks it would be fun to scream at each firework at the top of their lungs, without shutting up in the least despite repeated threats from all the adults there. Then as soon as the fireworks were over and they finally quit screaming, they whined and whined to go home. No stargazing by the lake for me. Didn't do any when I got home either. Somehow looking up through the same old holes in my treetops at the stars wasn't so appealing.