Thursday, July 31, 2008

How does anyone sleep the night before having a few days off? I was so excited about the prospect of some time off that all I did was toss and turn. Sleeping pills would have cured that, but I don't like the effect the next morning. For the first couple hours after waking up I feel like I'm walking around underwater.

So, at 1:00am, I decided to go out and look at the stars! I could see them beckoning to me through the window. It was another excellent night for stargazing. Crystal clear and one of those nights where I could see many of the distant objects with no more than just my eyes. I snapped a few pictures (surprise!) which of course don't do justice to the sights I saw, especially through my binoculars.


The northeastern sky, 1:00am. Cassiopeia in the upper left corner. Below that you can just make out the double cluster, NGC 869 & NGC 884. Almost centered in the picture you can similarly just make out a fuzzy oblong speck. That's the Andromeda Galaxy.



Lower left corner is the double cluster. Look at it in binoculars, it's cool!



Fuzzy spot in the center of the photo, the Andromeda Galaxy. Great one for your binoculars! This picture is roughly what I could see with my eyes. That's one thing about the Canon SX100 IS, it captures the night sky pretty close to what I could see with my eyes, more or less. The most awesome thing about this picture, is that fuzzy dot in the middle is a trip way back in time. When I snapped this picture last night, I was photographing that galaxy the way it looked almost 3 million years ago! It's so far away that it took the light that long to get here for me to snap that picture! Mind-boggling!


Might head for the bike trail this afternoon!