Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Firewood and Calves

I headed out to cut firewood after the rain this morning. My Polaris Hawkeye ATV clawed and scratched a little. The rain had made the snow slippery and soft. While I was cutting wood, the sun came out and WOW! I didn't think I was going to make it back, even empty! It was touch and go most of the way. The snow really got soft and sloppy fast, and most places in the woods is still a foot or more deep.


I've been looking at this tree and hoping it would fall the rest of the way ever since it tipped over a couple years ago. I almost started cutting it up today. These leaners (or widow-makers as an old logger buddy of mine used to call them) are a real pain in the ass. They pinch all the way, jump back at you, and then many times you're left with a piece hanging in the other trees.


Like this one from a previous leaner!


Anyway, I settled for another tree already on the ground, way out in the brush. I don't know exactly how I will get it out of there even when the snow is gone. I'll have to make a road to it! Here it is, all cut up and split. Do you see it? Look closer.


I had a new calf born last night, and now another one today. Are you squeamish?


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment