Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Funerals are the most disgusting, morbid tradition and it's about time this society lets go of it. It's so gross to display some poor dead person's body for everybody to look at. Even if it's a closed casket, it's still no better. The act of making a display out of death is awful. They say it's for the family, but it's not. I've never once felt better after standing next to my loved one's dead body for hours while many people wander by and tell you how well the dead person looks (how well can a dead person look?). It's for the funeral homes and churches to make money from. It's an old throwback from the days when life and death was not so understood and people believed it had to be ritualized with ceremonies and other magic charms. The funeral homes and churches will never change it, for fear of all the money they will lose.

I never go to a funeral unless I have to help put the body in the ground myself. And I don't expect anybody else to go to mine. As a matter of fact, it states that in my will. I want no more spent on my burial than what is legally required. And I don't want people gawking at my dead self. All I need is a couple close friends or family to dig the hole, drop me in the ground, and throw the dirt on me. The bare minimum required to get the job done.

Some people are like the Grim Reaper. They wouldn't miss a funeral no matter what. It's disgusting how they are fascinated by death. Karen's aunt and uncle are that way. They would drive 1000 miles to go to the funeral of some guy who's name sounds familiar! Yuck.

It would be much better to get the poor, deceased person's body in the ground as quickly and quietly as possible. Have a "farewell" type party later. I want it that way when I die, as I'm sure most people do. Remember me when I was living. I don't want people's last memory of me to be my old corpse.

3 comments:

  1. I think your view is correct.When i go i told Tracie to burn me and take the post hole digger and dig a hole and bury me.Either that or put me in the toilet take a pee and poop on me and give me the big flush.Death sure is over rated.I also agree with you about remembering the while they were alive not when they are there with a sole less body.

    Not to be nosey but who died?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daena!

    Edit my post and put a "M" on remembering them not "the"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I don't think I can edit comments, only delete (the little trashcan thingy). At least not that I can see. Can you edit the ones on your blog? Maybe I have a setting wrong or something. I can edit the main post. Don't matter, I knew that you meant "them".

    P.S.
    I sent you an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete