Monday, July 9, 2007

I was recently handed a survey being conducted by the Wisconsin ATV Ass. It's kind of interesting, so I will share it here with you, my viewers:

  • Please list the ONE improvement you would most like to see in Wisconsin ATV trails: More of them. Especially since more than doubling the ATV registration fee years ago and still no substantial results.
  • What if anything, interferes with your ATV riding experience?: The fact that there are no trails or routes within riding distance of my house. No matter where I go, I have to haul my ATV for many miles.
  • How far are you willing to drive for an ATV recreational experience?___MILES: I am willing to drive nowhere, 0 miles. But, I have to drive as far as I need to in order to ride where the experience can be pleasant.
  • How do you feel about the level of ATV law enforcement in Wisconsin.___Not Enough ___Too Much ___Just Enough: I do not break the laws, so for me personally there is no law enforcement needed. I very rarely see others breaking laws, but I also rarely see any law enforcement officers. With that in mind, I will say that the level of ATV law enforcement is "just enough" or leaning slightly towards "too much".
  • Would you be in support of a mandatory helmet law for all operators in the following areas open to the public? Roads, Trails, Frozen Waters, Public Lands (hunting/fishing): Right, just what we need is more legislation that pretends to protect us from ourselves. If you wear a helmet, GREAT! Glad to hear it. But, do not force your fears and lifestyles on others through legislation. A big NO is my answer. ABATE of Wisconsin says it best. "Actively opposing mandatory helmet and seat belt laws (not because we are against their use, but because as a precedent, they set the stage for unlimited meddling of government in the personal lives of private citizens.)"
  • Do you feel that most ATV Rountes (roads) are properly signed?___Yes ___No: Yes.
  • There is a proposal to create registration plates for ATV's. If this proposal is approved where should an ATV be required to display the plates?___Front Only ___Back Only ___Both Front and Back: Plates are unnecessary, but if such a silly thing does become a reality, I say none of the above. Display them underneath, on the skid plate.
  • What is the biggest obstacle you have encountered for increasing trail miles in your area/club?: In my area, the biggest obstacle is ornery old narrow-minded bastards. In my club (which is not in my area), the club gets most of what is asked for.
  • What other clubs do you participate in other than ATV (or Motorized) in order to build trust and good PR in communities?: I am an active member in the local antique club and I am an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church.
  • Do you get involved in local politics in order to improve ATV opportunities?___Yes ___No: Not anymore and never again.
  • When making a choice of where to drive your ATV, do you generally prefer: (Please choose one answer in each pair.) 1___to visit the same area or___to seek different areas? 2___to be in relatively flat open terrain such as a field or___to be in hilly terrain? 3___to drive on roads and trails with few obstacles or___to drive on rugged steep, rocky roads and trails?: I don't have much choice, since I have nothing within riding distance of my house and have to haul my ATV every time I go riding. With that said though, I am happy to just be riding regardless of the terrain. Hilly or rugged terrain might be a nice change. So many trails nowadays have been "improved" to the point of taking most of the "off-road" riding experience out of off-road trail riding.
  • How many hours, on average, do you spend participating in some form of Trail maintenance per year?___hrs: I don't anymore, other than helping the club clean up garbage along the routes less than 8 hours per year.
  • Does one or more of your family members participate in maintenance of trails in your club area?___Yes ___No: Yes, see previous question.
  • Do you actively participate in maintenance activities of other ATV clubs that you belong to?___Yes ___No: I gave up on the "other" ATV club and only belong to the Castle Rock Family ATV Club now.
Tomorrow - Page 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment