Monday, July 30, 2007

Hawkeye Update:

After 800 miles and 60 hours, I'm still happy! I've had no problems, and only one major complaint (which I'll detail in the next paragraph). I still haven't had the recall work done, but nothing has broken. My dealer phones me occasionally to tell me that he hasn't received the parts from Polaris yet. Come to think of it, he hasn't called me for awhile now. The last time he called he said he expected the parts in a week to ten days, which I'm sure was longer ago than that now. I'm in no hurry to get the recall taken care of anyway, but maybe I'll call him and check in, since I haven't heard from him lately.

Anyway, on to the one major complaint: Whenever I run over a stick, it kicks up and crushes into the underside of the floorboards! It might not sound like much to people reading this, but when I explain that I spend most of the time on my Hawkeye in the woods, hauling firewood and whatever, that's a lot of sticks crunching into the floorboards! There's been no structural damage done to the plastic yet that I can see, even though sometimes the sticks are large and it feels like it wants to lift the ATV off the ground! Last night I was riding with my flip-flops on. (Yes, you read that right, flip-flops! If they weren't for real men too, they wouldn't make them in size 13, would they?) A stick kicked up into the underside of the floorboard, stuck up through one of the holes, and poked me in the foot. Ouch! Good thing I was wearing my helmet. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha wearing your helmet.I was surprise you had flip flops on the last time i was over but i knew sooner or later you would be a real man and wear flip flops.He He

    Is there a way you could bolt a piece of tin or something on the bottom side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm too sexy for my flip-flops!

    I thought about making a little skid plate under the floorboards, but then decided it would just build up with mud, snow, and crap and would fill the floorboards up. They have the metal framework under them, but that's only for support and doesn't protect much. I'm hoping as the tires wear or something changes, the sticks will quit doing that.

    ReplyDelete