Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The original plan was: Turn off the pumphouse heaters and heat tapes. Take down my machine shed doors for the summer. Change oil and service my pickup. Change oil and service my Hawkeye. Service my Trail Boss.

When I got as far as the Hawkeye, I stopped to think a minute. I change oil and service all my vehicles, ATVs included, in October and April. With the old Sportsman it worked out good since plowing all winter long was harder on it than riding all summer. But, since I don't plow with the Hawkeye and I have went on only 3 rides since October, and I haven't been able to ride in the woods much, I decided not to service it or change the oil. What would be the use? Even the air filter couldn't possibly be dirty yet. Back in October when I changed it, it had 1200 miles on it. Now it's not quite 1500. So, only 300 miles all winter at most. I'll wait until next October, after it's had a season of riding again.

As for the Trail Boss, I can't even remember the last time that was ridden. Not even sure it runs anymore, but I assume so. I just rolled it out of it's parking spot far enough to oil the chain, then rolled it back in.

With those decisions made, I had enough time leftover to try to ride in the woods again! This time I made it all the way around the loop and back on my main trail. All except one spot where I had to get off and push (and then again in the same spot on the way back). Like a dummy, I only had my tennis shoes on but didn't get wet feet.

By the time I got back, Mrs. Reverend was home from work early (hey, somebody has to work so I can sit around and make all these tough decisions), so I changed oil and serviced her car instead of the Hawkeye.

Now all that's left is the rototiller which I'll wait until I need it. The lawnmower, but I doubt I will do that. It's one of those shitty Briggs engines. Since the day it was new, it burns enough oil to change itself. I never did like Briggs engines. Fortunately everything else I have has a Tecumseh with real carbs and starters and no smoking!

No comments:

Post a Comment