Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Snippet From My Everyday Life

When a cow has a calf, it creates a little extra work, especially on the day it's born. For many years, my cousin, who owns the farm, has been under the delusion that "the calves are almost always born on Sunday", and tells everyone that. Of course that's not true. I've tried to explain to him the reason it seems that way is because Sunday is the only day he's there. The rest of the week I'm there and I deal with the extra work of new mothers/babies, most of the time without him even noticing or being there.

The most recent calf was born on Monday. Like usual, he said he was "surprised it wasn't born on Sunday, like most of them are". I then turned to Karen and said that I knew it would be born on Monday, because most of them are! He exclaimed "bullshit" real loud. Hee hee. That gave me an idea!

I started keeping records of dry cows, fresh cows, and calf births on 11/28/2000. Before that the records were pretty much nonexistent. We didn't know when a cow was dried up, when she last had a calf, etc. etc. Mostly guesses. Since then, I know the important stuff at a glance. And to prove that "most of the calves are NOT born on Sunday" I created a bar graph and pinned it up in the milkhouse!


As you can see by the graph, over the last 8 years, there has been only 2 more calves born on Sunday than the average, and 4 less calves born on Sunday than on Saturday. Considering that this spans eight years and 159 births, I'd conclude each day of the week is darn close to dead even. Duh. Like I said all along. Certainly, the other 135 calves were born Monday through Saturday and only 24 on Sunday! I'd hardly call that "most of the calves are born on Sunday".