Sunday, August 17, 2008

We had a wonderful "family" day at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show in Baraboo yesterday.

The girls sure enjoyed the flea market and homemade ice cream. Wow, what a show it is. For a guy like me that likes steam engines, it's the only show around here worth going to. You can see old tractors just about anywhere, but steam engines are a lot harder to find. Steam engines are my favorite.


I remember when my dad was in the snowmobile business, there were a few of these around back then. They were kind of cool, but didn't do too well. It was much harder for them to get the traction needed, due to having to pull the weight of the sled and passenger. The more conventional design, with all the weight over the track, worked better.



Since switching to Stihl chainsaws, I haven't needed this many backup saws! Although, one spare comes in handy when you get the other pinched in a log.



Here is where they make the ice cream! Pretty cool, huh?



These Teddy Bears were having fun!



I had been debating on whether to buy an old tractor, an old hit and miss engine, or a steam engine. Well, my real interest is steam, but I do not have the room for a full size steam engine. I think I've found what I want now. A steam truck! I would even load my ATV into the back of this and take it to the riding areas!



Clean clothes, anyone?



My dad spent almost his whole life sitting on one of these! And cranes, graders, earth movers,.........



I'd probably have room to own one of these half scale engines, but I have decided a steam truck would be more fun.



Ahh, and here it is in action, my future purchase! (if I can ever find one for sale)



Steam power is so fascinating! I've got more than enough fuel for it, but no room.