Sunday, January 24, 2010

Immediately I Knew I Was In Trouble - But It Was Already Too Late!

It's been raining for two days. The snow hasn't gone, it just turned to slush. I loaded up to go out and cut some wood and as soon as I left the yard, I knew it was a mistake. I was stuck within 150 feet. I had to unhook the sled, struggle and push the ATV another 500 feet so I could get to a place to turn around. Overall, it took me an hour to get back to the yard.


Once I got back to the yard with my Hawkeye, then it became a rescue mission to get the sled back, with my saw, maul, etc. in it. So I got the old muddy winch out of the garage and hooked it up.


Walked back down the hill pulling all 50 feet of the cable out, but the sled was 150 feet away. So, dragged the sled by hand around a couple curves and up the hill to where the end of the cable was.


Whew! The hard part is over.


Hooked up and ready to go. Note the water in the wheel track.


Here it comes, up the hill. A lot easier than dragging it by hand.


Rescue successful! I think I'll go back in the house and look out the window.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill