Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tree Hits Ground - Disappears

It seemed strange, cutting a standing tree. I chose this one because it was close to the trail, not buried under the snow like the ones already on the ground, and no loose bark or holes that little birds might be using for shelter.


It fell just exactly where I wanted it to and didn't touch the little white pine on the left. It almost vanished in the snow. That's not a deer trail leading up to it. That's a ME trail! Knee-deep. It can get a lot deeper than this, but if it does I won't be out there cutting.


It sure was easier to cut than digging under two feet of snow to find one that is already on the ground. And am I happy to have my favorite old saw running again! It's been three years since I last used it and today was the test run after fixing it. Ran like a champ. Well, compared to all my other junk, it ran pretty good anyway!


I had no trouble standing the rounds up and splitting where they laid today! I couldn't have lugged those rounds out of there even if I wanted to. Split them and then toss the splits over by the sled. It was kind of funny, because when I would hit a round with good old maulie, it would be driven right under the snow, then hear a muffled craaaaack, and like reaching in and pulling a rabbit from the hat, out would come splits.


First load on the sled and ready to go home. Fingers crossed that I won't get stuck.


Boy, that sled is really dragging. Fingers still crossed.


Aw shoot, stuck! (that's not quite exactly what I said) Going up a little hill, sled riding real low, and the snow piles up in front of it. There I set with wheels spinnin'. So I got off and pushed it up the hill myself! And I got stuck in that same spot with every load and had to do the same thing every time.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment