Saturday, January 9, 2010

Looking For A Tree To Cut Up

After packing the trails, I went searching for a tree to cut up. Normally I would cut one that is already laying on the ground, but the snow is now too deep for most of them like this one. It's almost impossible to dig all the way down through the snow to get to them. And even then I can't always see what exactly I'm cutting into.


Tops resting up above the snow like this one aren't too bad, if they are close to the trail. 100 feet is a long way to carry wood in snow up to my knees, even for somebody as dedicated as me!


Or a leaner like this would be ok, if it's close.


I normally do not need to cut standing trees, but am willing to start making a few exceptions. But I won't cut this one. The little birds like to use that loose bark for shelter. I'll leave this dead white oak until it tips over someday on it's own.


I've been thinking about this one since it tipped a few years ago. I have been hoping that it would eventually go the rest of the way down on it's own, it's resting on a clump of bur oak. It is close to the trail, but it's going to be a saw pinching mess and about 20 inches diameter. Now I have two saws running again. But I won't risk it today.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment