Thursday, January 21, 2010

Saving A Little Red Pine

During my wood cuttin' adventure today, I came across this little red pine being crowded by this standing dead black oak. I figured if I let the oak tip over on it's own someday, it would probably uproot the little pine. So, down it comes!


And now the little red pine is free to grow and flourish.


The snow is still as deep as ever, up to my knees mostly. Sometimes when I'm riding along looking for things to take pictures of, I drive right off the trail. And when I did that today, I still got stuck. I dropped this tree in a nice, easy spot to work on.


Standing dead oak with no bark, ready to burn? Not normally. This one was especially juicy inside (or icy, as the case may be).


Ah, woodchips on the old ATV!


There's just something about this familiar sight that makes me feel right with the world. Knowing that years from now this wood will keep my home and family warm, I had fun doing it, and it will also most likely keep someone else's home warm in exchange for a few bucks.


And finally, here it is, the moment I've been waiting for, my new SQUARE gas can that doesn't leap from the wagon at every opportunity like my old ROUND gas can! At least not yet.


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment