Monday, January 4, 2010

New Boots!

My unexpected flurry of wood sales this weekend was greatly appreciated. I've been trying to save up enough money for a new Stihl, and that helped me get a little closer. But first I thought I'd treat myself to a new pair of boots. I've been surviving with the cheap $20 Pamida boots as necessary, but they are not very warm and don't last long. Most years by the time Spring rolls around my socks are sticking out and getting caught on the brush while cutting wood!

Years ago I bought a pair of insulated rubber boots from Farm and Fleet (I wear uninsulated rubber boots while milking the cows and doing chores). They were pretty warm and lasted fairly long. I have big feet, so even when I get the right size they go on hard and pull off hard, because they are all rubber and no laces. When I bought them before, they were $35 and the last time I looked at them they were $50. But still, since it was a treat for me, I was willing to spend the $50 on them.

When I got to the farm store, I was very disappointed. The boots I wanted were now $80 and there was no way I was going to spend that much money on a pair of rubber boots. All the other boots they had were the same as the crappy Pamida boots I have been buying. So I left, without buying them.

On the way out of town, I was passing Gander Mountain when Ashley said that I should stop there and see what they have. What the heck, so I did. Well, they had a lot of boots there, real boots like Sorels and LaCrosse! It has been a very long time since I had a real pair of boots. They were way too much money though, and I was just about to give up, when I noticed some LaCrosse boots stacked on a pallet for $80. And luck was with me, they had my size!

So, for the same $80 that the farm store wanted for rubber boots, I came home with a pair of real boots! It's been a long time.


And no better way to try out my very own pair of real boots than to go cut some wood. It was a bit nipley, but my feet were warm! This is a pile of tops, leftover from the tornado in 2004 and the logging that followed. Some really good wood in there yet.


All cut up with the last one of my $50 Stihls. That old 026 is getting pretty tired, but I'm slowly getting closer to buying a new one.


After selling a bunch of firewood this weekend, and refilling my monthly supply on the porch, I've got room in my stacks up at the house. I hauled this up and didn't have to add it to my stacks in the woods.


Uh oh! I lost my stupid gas can!


The deer have really been munching on the turnips!


When the deer aren't using their own paths,...


...they use my ATV tire tracks. It's easier for them to get around in the tire tracks than walking through the deeper snow. Plus they help me by keeping the trails packed.


And a shot of Old Smokey chugging away at -10°F below zero (-24°C/250°K).


- Quads, hailing from Grand Marsh Observatory atop Elk Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment