Sunday, October 14, 2007

Dad and Mom loved to take pictures. Some might say that's where I got my interest from. I've recently needed to look at a lot of old photos. Which brings to mind something I've noticed about the pictures that people take. There are "people photographers" and "object and scene photographers". Nothing wrong with either one, just two different ways of taking pictures.

Mom was somewhere in between. She was just as happy photographing a flower or river or colored leaf as she was posing people for portraits. Lots of diversity from one picture to the next. Mom used film exclusively, never slides, and she never had any interest in "digital".

Dad was a "people photographer" in that he liked to take pictures of people and not so much of objects or scenes. There are lots of pictures he took at events long ago. The majority of his event photos are of the people at the events and not necessarily of the events themselves. The pictures he did take of scenes and objects would normally have people posed in front of them. I can almost always tell his photos just by looking at them. Dad preferred slides, but sometimes used regular film. I'm pretty sure he died long enough ago that he had probably never heard of a "digital" camera. If he were alive today, you can bet he'd have had one!

I'm the opposite type of photographer. I prefer to take pictures of objects and scenes, and I only take pictures of people if they happen to be part of the scene or seated on the object. I don't think I have ever "posed" anybody, but I have "posed" my ATV, bicycle, etc. many times! I have never owned a film camera. My first camera, and every camera thereafter, was a digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment