Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Here it is, what I'll be plowing the driveways with this year. It doesn't look too big in the picture, but it's pretty good size. 28" width, 8 horsepower engine, 6 forward gears, and 2 reverse. I don't think it'll be able to clear snow as fast as the old Sportsman. But after more thought, when the snow is piled up I might be able to go faster because I won't be trying to find places to push more snow. We'll see. It seemed to be the cheapest and best option for this year.

I got it at Tractor Supply (TSC). They were the best deal for what you got. I checked several places on the net, and went to some in person. I had already checked with Ace on the net, so knew what they had to offer, but I had to stop there on the way to TSC to get something else. Just for shits and giggles, I decided to ask them what they had for snowblowers since I didn't see any out front. TSC had snowblowers out front at least a month ago already.

At Ace they looked at me funny and repeated the word "snowblowers" back to me a couple times, like I was asking for them in June, or like I was asking for a spaceship. "I'm not sure if we have any." "Let's ask four more people about it." "Oh, there's some in boxes in the warehouse." So we go back to the warehouse, and sure enough, there was one in a box with a drawing of a snowblower on the outside and no information about it at all. All the while a dog was barking at us, and the guy said it was because I was wearing a hat. What the hell was the dog doing there anyway? Then an old bag sticks her head around the corner and says; "Hey, can you take your hat off?" Hell no lady. I only take my hat off for one thing, and you're way too ugly for that.

I said "never mind" and headed up to TSC. The blowers at TSC were bigger, more powerful, and hundreds less. And not one old bag told me to take my hat off, although the doll that waited on me there was worth considering it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice snow blower.I know who to call when i get snowed in.Tracie's dad gave me a little blower like you used to have(a small one)and i have a feeling i might end up using that this winter.I am not too sure about my 98.The last time i had it running it seemed to smoke alot.

    I wouldn't mind having a bigger snow blower like you have or a garden tractor with a blower on it.I guess it matters on what the price difference of the two are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works out ok. It should. I can always keep looking for something else for next year.

    I still have the little snowblower. It runs good too. The guard over the belt is partially rusted away, so has to be repaired, but that's not too big of a job. That's all I had for years before I got my first ATV plow.

    The big blower I got was $700. No way you could touch a garden tractor for that, let alone get the blower attachment too. Maybe used though, but of course you take a chance. I thought of that, but couldn't come up with anything close to $700. Plus, I could use the little exercise from walking behind the blower!

    ReplyDelete