Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I finally greased my Hawkeye and changed the break-in oil, after almost 1200 miles! I service my ATVs twice a year, April and October. Since I bought the Hawkeye in the middle of March, I let it go until October.

It was easy to service. Only 5 grease fittings, as opposed to over 30 on the old Sportsman. That's a good thing as far as ease of greasing it, but on the other hand I like to make sure everything is lubricated. As long as the stuff I can't grease doesn't wear out, great.

The oil change was ok. It's harder to get to the drain plug since it's underneath the middle of the engine, instead of on the side of a reservoir like the old one. The drain plug takes a 6MM allen wrench. I don't like that very much. Those allen heads get dirt packed in them and you have to pick it out before you try to put the wrench in. If you don't, you run the risk of rounding it out. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Also, the only way to pour the new oil in it is if you use a funnel with a really long tube on it. Which I just so happened to have, so no big deal. I knew I was going to need my long funnel when I first bought the Hawkeye, just by looking at it.

A strange thing I noticed about the air filter when I first bought this ATV is that there is no clamp holding it to the intake. It's just stuck on the intake tube in the air box, with a ridge built into the box to keep it from popping back off. I forgot to ask my dealer about it. The old ATV had a clamp holding it on. The Trailboss doesn't, but that's a totally different design. When I cleaned the pre-filter, I inspected the inside of the paper filter and the intake and they were spotless. It seems to be doing it's job without being clamped on. I'll have to remember to research it and make sure that it's not supposed to have a clamp. I could put a clamp on it anyway for peace of mind, but I don't want to risk having the clamp crush the intake tube if it's not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment