Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Well, I've got about 15 miles on the new quad now! Just around the yard and crashing through the woods a few times. It feels quite powerful and will get up and go when needed. I'm surprised actually. Mrs. Reverend and I rode around double a little bit, while I tested the power for riding double. No problem. It powers up the hill like nothing, with both of us on it. I think it will do just fine.


I read a review about it, stating that it vibrates quite a bit. Yes, it does. It's because the engine is not mounted with rubber mounts like the Sportsmans. It's bolted solid to the frame like the Japanese ATVs. It doesn't really bother me, anymore than it ever bothered when I used to ride motorcycles. One thing I did do though was I took the ball mount out of the receiver hitch and hung it in the garage until I need to pull a trailer. The racket that thing makes when it vibrates did bother me!


I noticed that the front end has very little protection. There isn't much to protect, but there is a couple wires going to the front gearcase and a couple vent hoses. I wonder about those when I'm out in the woods. I once had a limb get into the Sportsman and rip a hole in one of the radiator hoses and that thing had much protection, plus the winch, grill, etc. And yet the limb still got in there somehow anyway. The dealers offer a grill for the front of it. It's not too expensive either, less than 40 bucks. So, I might just get that and put it on there. Anything to keep the sticks from ripping those wires and hoses off, I guess. I'll have to think about it.
One thing I will not be getting is the winch for it. They say that there is only one winch/mount combo made to fit it and it is only 1500# for $450! No way. I've got the old 2500# Warn off the Sportsman, and since this machine has a receiver hitch, I might make a removable mount and wiring harness for it. I know they offer receiver mounts for winches, but I think I can make one myself pretty easy and for a lot less money. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment