Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Another calf born this morning. I knew the mother was getting close, and she didn't come in the barn this morning at milking time. I went out in the dark to find her, and when I did, the calf was still hanging out of her. I thought maybe it was dead, but couldn't see it good enough and she wouldn't let me get close. She came right up and into the barn with the calf still hanging. In the light, I discovered the little bugger seemed to be ok, just that the cow was having a little bit of a hard time. I ended up pulling it out for her (if I could only count the number of times I've had cow placenta dripping from my elbows). Cow and calf are both doing fine. This calf is normal size. About three times as big as the tiny one born the other day. I normally don't like to milk a fresh cow when I'm alone because sometimes they get a little wild, but this morning like most of the time, I had no choice.

The tiny calf seems to have made it through the weekend ok (although, one of the cows croaked). She might even be growing a little bit. Still have to look at her twice every time just to make sure I'm not imagining her small size!

Hauled a few loads of wood up to the house yesterday. The ATV seems like it will handle it ok. Squats a little bit in the rear, but doesn't bottom out. It won't be as good at it as the Sportsman, but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment