Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's over. Mom is in her final resting place now. With my shovel, I carefully dug a hole next to Dad while the other relatives looked on, placing the dirt on my small tarp to minimize the amount of cleanup. Then I lowered the urn with her remains into it and gently covered it up. I did not tamp the dirt, even though I know that I need to, so as not to leave the onlooking relatives with the memory of me packing the dirt down around Mom. I will take care of that at a later time.

I do the things that I need to do, not because I want to, but because it's the right thing to do.

3 comments:

  1. It sure is a shitty job but i am sure glad you were able to do it.It will be a though that will be in the back of you mind the rest of your life.In a way it will sadden you but in a way it will make you feel pretty good.

    I agree with you about this god stuff.I guess it is a good thing to believe but in a way the people who believe in god get a little carried away.
    Your Uncle did a good job with the sermon but it was a little too religious for me.

    I did like the music though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one of those things that had to be done. It was hard.

    I must admit it's an interesting collection of fables. I'm always amazed by the people's reaction to religion on "faith" alone. But then, that's their key to the whole thing. You must close your eyes and believe no matter how ridiculous it sounds. No thanks. I'd rather go to hell thinking.

    Mom believed it and that's the way she wanted it. When it's my turn, it will be very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree I do not want that either.Maybe a prayer to let the true believers feel happy then just throw me in the ground and go to the tavern and have a cold one in my name.

    Yes!I am sure it was hard.

    ReplyDelete