Tuesday, September 11, 2007

When I was helping JR and Russell cut wood on Sunday, we were comparing an 8 pound and a 6 pound splitting maul. It was really surprising how much you noticed that extra 2 pounds. It seemed like they both split with about the same number of swings, but I couldn't swing the 8 as fast. Therefore, it took a little longer to split the same amount of wood and was more work. I'm sure if I was used to the 8, I could swing it faster than I was, but in the meantime I really noticed the extra weight. The 8 would hit the wood with a THUMP, whereas the 6 would make a CRACK when it hit, but both split it. The only advantage to the heavier maul that I could see is that sometimes when you get a stringy piece that hangs together, the 8 acted like it would carry through it and split it more often than the 6. The 6 required an extra swing to finish it off, or you had to pull the pieces apart.

This got me thinking about how my dad always used a double bit ax for splitting. He didn't like the maul. I always liked the maul for splitting. The double bit ax stuck in the wood too much for me (which I have learned the reason for that over the years - too sharp). Plus, the shape of the double bit didn't make sense. Too thin and why have an edge on both ends? But, after our experiments on Sunday, I bet that double bit ax could really swing fast!

Ah ha! So how about a single bit ax for splitting? Never tried it really. More of a wedge shape than a double bit, like a maul, and it doesn't have that extra "forehead splitting" edge on it. Had one once when I was a little kid, but it's been lost somewhere through the years. I've got a little one with a short handle that is pretty much useless except for the occasional kindling duty.

I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and got a nice full size heavy single bit (3.5#) with a long fiberglass handle. Now if I get time today I am going to try it out on a couple loads of wood. It's too sharp and will stick some for awhile, but aside from that I'll see how it works. Splitting is my favorite part of the job, and I really love my old 6 pound maul, but maybe I can split even more wood faster with my new 3.5 pound ax! We'll see.

On a related note, Tractor Supply had the ax marked for $15.89. When I got home and looked at the receipt, they had charged me $22.89. Which is kind of a typical shopping experience at Tractor Supply. I think I know what happened though, and I guess it really doesn't bother me too much. I'm not so cheap that I have to worry about a few bucks, and I wasn't price shopping anyway but was looking for the quality and features. I would have paid $22.89 for it regardless. My guess is the ax had been there probably since the store opened, and the price has gone up. Many people are either too puny or too rich to ever worry about splitting wood or swinging an ax. I am neither, so I'm the perfect ax customer. And apparently the first one to purchase that ax from Tractor Supply!

2 comments:

  1. When i was a kid i started out splitting with Grandpa's ax and it split really good.Not sure what he did to it cause the ax my Dad had wouldn't split worth crap,then Dad bought a splitting maul and i only used the ax for limbs.Sure wished i knew Grandpa's secret.I am sure the #1 problem with my ax is it is too sharp(like you said)

    I think you just bought the ax i have been eying up.Does it have one cutting edge and has a flat surface on top?

    Your right about the extra 2 pounds.I guess if i swing it enough i might get used to it.Maybe not,maybe i will buy a new handle for my 6#er and save the 8#er for a back up

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ax I bought has a yellow handle and is a good size single bit (edge on one side, flat on the other).

    Get a handle for the 6 and keep the 8 for a spare. I'll post more about it later, but the 6 is the only way to go, much better than the ax.

    ReplyDelete