Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I read in my stats from the other day that someone in Anchorage Alaska came to my blog after searching for "Polaris Hawkeye Hard Starting" so I'll touch on that a little.

At first it seemed like it might be hard to start. Once I figured out what it wanted for choke and throttle, turns out it's really not hard to start at all. It is very awkward to start, because of the way the safety features work and where the controls are located, but I've talked about that in a previous post. Here's how I start my Hawkeye, using the choke, throttle, or lack thereof:

When the engine is cold, I pull the choke all the way out, then push it in just a little if it's below 50F, or push it in about halfway if above 50F. I then turn the key and it starts right up (no throttle). I'll let it idle that way for a minute or two. The engine will eventually rev, and when it does I ease the choke in slightly to slow it down. Then I go riding! Once the machine is moving, I open the choke (push it in) all the way.

When the engine is hot, I open the throttle a hair, and it starts right up. Most of the time it would start without giving it any throttle, but sometimes it won't. I give it a little throttle every time when starting a hot engine and I don't have to mess around.

If all else fails and it still doesn't seem like it wants to start, whether hot or cold, give it a little throttle and it should start right up. By the way, the owner's manual is of no help when it comes to starting it. Trial and error is how I learned the best ways to start my Hawkeye.

No comments:

Post a Comment