Sunday, May 27, 2007

I went for a ride in the refuge today. It was a nice ride, 70 miles, and nice weather. I rode some places that I'd never been before (Orange and Cutler, I think). It was kind of neat, but since I didn't have a map of those routes, I turned around before I started to get lost!

I've almost broke the 400 mile mark on the new quad! I hadn't planned on changing the break-in oil until Fall, but might have to sooner. I've got all the stuff to do it, just haven't done it yet.

I saw several snakes laying in the sand, sunning themselves. I carefully avoided them all. I don't mind snakes. All they wanted was some sun and I had no intention of harming the little buggers.

Last weekend I got 20 miles to the gallon while riding the trails by Black River with my Hawkeye. Used about 4 gallons on that ride. Today on the easier routes, I got 30 miles to the gallon. Only used about 2 gallons. I think that's pretty good. About par with the previous quad, or slighter less mileage.

I was riding down the route from Finley, the one with the railroad tracks between it and 80 (I think it's 12th?) and I got the crap scared out of me! All of a sudden there was a train next to me! I don't think I have ever seen a train on those tracks before, at least not while riding next to them.

Besides the snakes, I saw a lot of deer and a few dead raccoons. I don't think there's much traffic on those roads, not that I've ever seen anyway, so the coons must set there a long time waiting to get killed. Dummies. Maybe they're trying to catch the snakes?

Does anybody know where around here to get one of those aviator-type canvas or leather helmets like the Harley guys wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment