Sunday, May 20, 2007

What a ride, what a ride! I'd go do it again today, if I didn't have 100 chores to get caught up on. Millston (not too many years ago, that town's name was spelled with only one "L", I wonder why the change) to Black River Falls and back=80 miles. The sand was soft, the dust was thick, the mud was deep, it rained enough to put the rain clothes on for awhile but not enough to settle the dust, and the trails were rougher than a cob! All in all an excellent way to test the new Hawkeye on it's first real trail ride.

Since it was opening weekend for those trails, there were a lot of people out riding. At some mud holes, the ATVs were lined up in both directions for as far as the eye could see, all waiting in line for their turn to get through. And of course, many didn't make it through without a little help. The Hawkeye did though! But, mostly because I played chicken and didn't go through the middle if at all possible. I knew if the big dogs were getting stuck in them, I certainly would. And I don't like the "roar and hit the hole wide open" approach. Too scary. You never know what lies in the bottom of that hole waiting to ruin your wide open mud run, and your day. One guy on a two wheel drive sport machine did just that, and he ended up most of the way over the handlebars.

Well, no wheels broke off and the handlebars didn't twist off! I still plan on having the recall work done, when Polaris makes the parts available. Following are the only complaints I have after the first real trail ride of 80 miles with all the typical riding conditions:

  • It appeared to vapor lock one time. We had stopped for a few minutes after some hard, hilly riding. When we took off again, it sputtered a little for about 100 feet down the trail before clearing out. But, I noticed my machine wasn't the only one to do this at the same time. I saw a couple others run rough momentarily there too, so I am assuming vapor lock conditions.

  • My right foot gets really hot! The heat coming off the starter housing felt at times like it was going to melt my rubber boot! Temps were around 80 most of the day.

  • It's too damn complicated to start! It either has to be in neutral, or you have to hold the brake lever. Then, you must turn the key and sometimes give it a little throttle. I don't like all that. The key is on the right side of the handlebar pod. It would feel more natural if it was on the left, since you need your right hand for the throttle. It also would help if it didn't have to be in neutral and if you didn't have to hold the brake if it wasn't in neutral. Yuck! Anyway, I think if it just had the old push button mounted on the left grip for the starter, that would solve the whole problem. Push the button while holding the brake and run the throttle with your other hand. But no, now I have to feel like a contortionist to start the damn thing!

Ok, that was the only bad stuff I could come up with all day! And I really worked the hell out of it. Just those few minor irritations, otherwise I was very proud of my little Hawkeye! It kept up with the big boys easily, except maybe in the deepest mud, which I avoided as best I could.

The ride is as good as the old Sportsman, except maybe the Sportsman handled the small stutter-type bumps better. I suppose because it weighed so much more and had bigger tires. But, I think the Hawkeye actually did a little better on the big bumps, and there was a lot of those. The front end never bottomed out once all day. The Sportsman would have complained in that respect. (The Hawkeye front springs are currently at their softest setting and the rears are in the middle.)

The Hawkeye thrashes around in the soft sand and mud a little more than I am used to. The lighter weight and smaller tires being the cause, I'm sure. Not a bad or scary thing, just different.

It had plenty of power for normal trail riding. I found myself a couple times with the throttle pegged, but it wasn't as if I needed more power. Wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been thinking about it. And those times weren't exactly normal conditions either! The clutching and gearing seem to be set up about right. It's powerband is right around, or a little higher than normal trail riding (about 30 mph) which is perfect. Normally I don't even trail ride in yesterday's conditions at 30, but when I was pushing it a little, the powerband showed up right there at the same time. The last stretch from BRF back to Millston we kicked it in the ass a little. I beat the crap out of it on that stretch of rough and sandy trails and it performed excellent. It was a little too much for an old bastard like me though!

I still don't know exactly what top speed is (not that important anyway), but I do know it will climb to 50 without any trouble. Takes a couple minutes to get there. And I'm almost certain that it would top out at about 60 with enough room to run.

Pictures? Yep, there'll be pictures posted (and maybe a little movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment