Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I finished wiring my winch and it's mounted. I think it'll work pretty good. Since I never get stuck, I'll find out as soon as JR gets stuck and I have to pull him out! Hee hee.

I used the old mounting plate from the Sportsman and left the side plates on it. The side plates gave me a place to mount the solenoid and the control switch socket. Also, I'm thinking that they might add a little protection for the winch components.

I bought another ball mount for the receiver hitch and drilled an extra hole in it. I then drilled two new holes in the old mounting plate and bolted it to the ball mount. Now I can remove the winch from the machine and hang it up in the garage when I know it won't be needed. And since I mounted the solenoid, switch socket, and most of the wiring on the winch plate, all that's left on the ATV when I remove the winch is the cables leading to the battery and the plug in the back.


I got the battery cable connectors at the local Bumper to Bumper auto parts store (STS-308 for 6 gauge wire). They were pretty easy to install. The terminals are crimped on, but can be soldered for the best connection.


I really didn't have a solid way that I was happy with to mount the switch socket. I could have drilled the plate for it, but it would have stuck out one way or the other and I was afraid of it getting damaged. Using a wire tie should be ok and if something hits it, it might absorb the shock or come loose instead of getting destroyed. Someday I could add a small plate to the mount just for it, if I feel it's necessary. The gob of wires in the background can be shortened if they seem like they are going to get caught on brush. On my test run through the woods, it didn't seem like any brush could touch the wires. I suspect I will mostly have the winch on the ATV when trail riding and not in the woods anyway.


Mounted and ready to go:

No comments:

Post a Comment