Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I got all my weeding, hoeing, and tilling done in my garden yesterday. Normally it isn't too bad. Only takes me an hour or so. I discovered a long time ago, before I retired, that the best way to handle things like that is to only make them as big as you have time to take care of. For instance, if you don't have time or energy to take care of a big garden, then make it smaller. That way you never have to complain about something that's supposed to be fun to begin with, and you don't have to wonder who to get to help you with your "hobby". I enjoy gardening because I don't try to take on more than I can handle (except lately I've been arguing with some mysterious critter that keeps cutting my cucumber plants off).

My tiller, on the other hand, was giving me some grief yesterday. I only bought it last year, so it's not junk and worn out yet like most of my stuff. It seemed to be leaning out and then it would die. I'd pump the hell out of the stupid primer bulb and then it would go good for a row or two before starving and quitting again. It's either something in the gas (water or crud), or something in the carb (water or crud), or the float is sticking. I won't need to use it again for awhile, and if it does it again then, I'll tear into it and see what I can find.

I did a little tinkering on my truck this morning (unlike my tiller, it is old and worn out). For about ten years now, it will sometimes get a shimmy in the front end. It seems to be dependent on the road surface, the speed at which I'm going, and even the direction of the wind. I can't find anything loose in the steering or suspension. Maybe just the tiniest bit of play in the steering box, but so little (if any) as to be hard to tell for sure. I doubt very much if that is the cause. The shocks and the steering stabilizer are new. This morning I decided to switch the tires front to back and see if that makes any difference. I seriously doubt it, because I've had many different tires on it in the last ten years, but we'll see. I didn't take it for a test drive yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment