Friday, March 7, 2008

This morning, at 5:42 a.m., a fireball exploded and burned up in the atmosphere directly overhead.

It must have been a large meteor, a small asteroid, or a big piece of space junk. I was walking back to the barn after feeding the heifers when suddenly the ground, the buildings, the trees, all lit up a very bright blue. My first thought was lightning, but at -10F below zero and a clear sky, I realized that was impossible. Just as I looked up, after the really bright blue flash was already over, the last few pieces were burning out. It was traveling from northwest to southeast and burned out completely just slightly after it had gone directly overhead.

I thought maybe I would hear a sonic boom, or some sound from it, so I listened for a few minutes afterward but heard nothing. And so far I haven't heard of anyone else seeing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment