Sunday, August 19, 2007

What a nice rain we've been having for a change! It rained rather gentle all day yesterday and steady through the night. It picked up some during the night, and is raining fairly hard now. I dumped my gauge this morning because it only goes up to 5 inches and it had 3.2 in it. The way it's raining yet, there is a good chance that it could have overflowed. My electronic gauge is in need of repair again. It started to read less and less rain until it finally stopped altogether, which it has done many times before. I know exactly what the problem is, and is a fairly easy fix, but I have found the old-fashioned glass tube gauge to be more accurate than the electronic ones anyway. So I'm in no hurry to fix it. Besides, when it begins to get out of whack the change is so gradual that it's hard to notice. I always found myself comparing it to the glass one from the Dollar Store because I didn't trust it. Might as well just read the accurate one and not worry about the other.

It's been fairly cool too. All day yesterday it hit 60 degrees once, for a short time, then was in the 50s the rest of the day. Still in the 50s now. Combined with the dampness of the rainy day and the fact that we're conditioned to heat and humidity, it felt cold. I started a little fire in the stove. It's warm glow sure felt good. Even after all night with one small piece of wood, it's still warm and cozy. Money saving aspect aside, I really do enjoy wood heat. It warms the body and the soul both. And it's what I'm used to because I grew up with it. The ten years in between that I was without it, just didn't feel right. Crappy old forced air heat sucks.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the wood heat.Sure it's a little work cutting,splitting and hauling the wood but the rewards are worth the work.

    It's really relaxing listening to the wood pop and watching the flames glisten.Too mushy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I enjoy the cutting, splitting, and hauling (especially the splitting). Maybe even more than I enjoy heating with it.

    Mush mush, kissy kissy! Ha ha! Like with the campfire, I could sit and poke the burning embers with a stick all night long.

    ReplyDelete