Saturday, February 16, 2008

Yuck. Up all night with one of my hurts-so-bad-makes-me-feel-sick-to-my-stomach headaches again. It went away just in time to go down to the barn and is trying to come back again now.

Speaking of barn, I was milking last night when I heard something like a firecracker go off right behind me. The cows and I jumped and I caught a glimpse of a big flame shooting out of one of the light sockets. Then almost all the lights went out. Had to finish milking in the dark. One of his "new" replaced light sockets was all broken inside and shorted out from the water dripping from the leaking roof, running down through the hay in the mow, and into the light sockets. Wonderful.

And just two days ago I got a hell of a shock off one of the milkers. Damn near knocked me on the ground. No wonder some of the cows have been kicking lately. Somebody (I can guess who) had spliced one of the milker wires and used masking tape to tape! Needless to say, masking tape doesn't insulate very well especially when wet and slimy.

At least the last few calves are still alive, including the one born this morning. 5 in a row before these died.

Got my plowing all done yesterday, just in time for 13 more inches tomorrow! What the hell. So sick of snow. Yesterday took me way longer to blow out my sister's driveway than it has ever taken. Her husband decided it was a good idea to try to pack the snow down with his truck before I got there to clear it, because my sister's car has bald tires and he wanted her to be able to drive it right away. Well, that packed snow was almost impossible to cut. I had to put my blower in low gear and go slow to try to scrape as much of it up as I could. There's going to be a real mess when it starts to thaw. All that hardpack is going to turn to ice and slush. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment