Saturday, December 8, 2007

Busy day yesterday. Didn't even have time to plow my driveways. Now I don't know if I will do them today or not, since it sounds like I will be plowing again tomorrow anyway. My back still hurts like hell, but not nearly as bad as it was.

I did manage to get a right boot yesterday to replace one of my left ones! Too bad nobody closer carries rubber boots, and I have to drive 90 miles round trip to get them. Then 90 miles round trip again because I brought home two left ones the first time. Shit.

Spent part of the morning in the planning and zoning office. We're trying to sell Mom's house, but the realtor says due to zoning law changes, the house that's been there over 100 years is now worthless because the lot is no longer considered a rebuildable lot. The value of the property is no more than if the lot was vacant (maybe $2000?). I had to schedule an appointment for the planning and zoning guy to come out and make the official measurements, so I could have that in writing. Then I don't know what we'll do. Most likely abandon it and let it fall down, before we ever give it away. Somehow I don't think that's quite what Dad and Mom had in mind when they died. They had nothing, no savings, no valuable possessions, no cars, nothing. Except their measly little house. And Mom thought she was doing the best she could do when she left it to us. ADAMS COUNTY is still kicking them in the guts even after they're gone.

Anyway, I had to go to the zoning office and pay $50 in advance because of all the deadbeats around here that never paid the fee. Now they won't schedule any inspection unless they have the 50 bucks beforehand. Make a special trip to pay the fee, because that stupid town doesn't have rubber boots.

I've hated ADAMS COUNTY for a very long time. Almost everyday there are more reasons to hate it. It's quite possibly one of the worst places in the world to live and gets worse all the time. Now that Mom is gone, and once we get unattached from her house one way or the other, maybe we can finally get the hell out of here like I should have done when I had the chance as a young man. But then I was naive and foolish and wasn't sure yet how shitty this place really was. Now I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Really,Really ROTTEN

    Seeing there is no value in that house i wouldn't pay the county NOTHING,the only shitty thing about that is,there is no value to you but then bastards will turn around and sell it and make thousands.

    Don't feel bad Daena,Tracie and I have been saying the same thing- about leaving Adums Cunty.What do we have here?Pamida-has sales and never has the product or a grocery store that drove all the other grocery stores out so they can charge ungodly prices for their products,and a local government,if they have a chance will screw you out of everything you have.How do they sleep at night?


    I want to move North,Tracie wants to go South.Soon as the kids are out of school don't be surprised if we don't make that move.That's if we don't loose our house first.That will make the decision a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought about moving way, way north, to Alaska. It's not bad if you're close to the ocean, or so I've heard. No matter where you move, and I'm doing the same, make damn sure you're in an ATV friendly place that's right on the trails! Exact opposite of Adums Cunty.

    ReplyDelete