Tuesday, December 11, 2007

This morning I walked out of the house in the dark, heading down to the barn. Partway across the yard I fell over something. In the dark I could not see what it was, but it felt like a body! Scared the hell out of me. I ran back away from it a few steps, then fumbled around in my pocket for my flashlight. Once I got the light going, I see it was a dead deer. During the night, someone had hit it in front of my house and it died in my yard.

Once it got daylight, I see there was a second deer laying in front of my fire number sign. Apparently the car hit two deer. A few old car parts lay scattered in the yard and on the road. I called the sheriff's department and they put them on their list to be picked up. I had heard they didn't pick up dead deer anymore, in which case I guess I would have dragged them out in the woods because car-killed deer meat is usually bruised and yucky. I know a lot of people eat it though. Blah.

The funniest part about the whole thing: When Mrs. Rev got up this morning, she saw the deer laying in the yard. She told me later that at first she thought it was me laying there. But then she didn't think I was wearing my brown coat down to the barn this morning, so she decided she didn't need to go out and check to see if it was me. Gee, thanks honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment