Sunday, December 2, 2007

I just got done plowing three driveways. At first, I thought the blower was a $700 boat anchor. I was trying to fight it and force it to do the work and that was not getting me anywhere. Then a cotter pin fell out of the control that turns the chute and the handle came off in my hand. I put a new pin and washer in it, then it wouldn't turn the chute because the bolts were loose.

Ok, once I tightened the bolts and got over being pissed off, I stood back and thought about it for a minute. I realized that old fat bastards use these things all the time and they can barely walk behind it. So, me not being too far from that description myself, I stopped fighting it and just let it go at it's own pace. Worked like a charm. If it would start to lift up, or the wheels would spin too much, then I'd just wiggle it slightly and it would dig down and keep on going. I got to the point that I can run it with just the slightest touch from one hand. There is a definite learning curve to it.

I have the shoes set all the way down, so it leaves an inch or more of snow. It doesn't do a clean job that way, but I have to because of all the large rocks and roots. Maybe later on I can lower them down a little as the snow gets a base and do a cleaner job. Some of the rocks are almost the size of your fist, and I don't want to run anymore of them through it than I have to. I already blew a few out across my sister's yard, fortunately not towards any windows.

Overall, I like it. It's definitely more work than the ATV plow, mainly because you're walking instead of sitting. That's ok though, I can use the walk. It's also definitely more wet than the ATV plow - balls, was I soaked when I came in! It seemed like it took longer, but when I think about how wet and hard to move the snow was today, I'm not too sure the ATV would have moved it much faster. Also, as I get used to this I think it will go faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment